Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blacksmithing

Once upon a time, I was in high school (back in December). During this time, I was called into the counselor's office and delivered some rather... shocking news. This news was pretty simple, but whatever would become of it would be a huge problem. The news? One of my classes was being cancelled. The worst part? I would be put into blacksmithing instead.

Now, one of the requirements for blacksmithing is that you had to have taken two art classes beforehand. During my time in high school, I've never once gotten an elective I signed up for--it's always been up in the air and completely a surprise to me. Once, I got a slot where there was no class there--that's 85 minutes to myself! Sadly, even though art was always one of my electives, I never got it. So when I was allowed into blacksmithing? It was kinda surprising--and exciting.

For those who don't know, blacksmithing is where you take a piece of steel and put it into a forge that's at least 1,200 degrees (F) hot and leave it in there until it's red/yellow/white-ish. After it turns your desired colour, you take it out and place it on an anvil and beat the crap out of it. Of course, you don't always beat the crap out of it, but this is a common way to start. After a while, you can start making things out of your metal--I've made a turning fork (aka "marshmallow stick"), and a leaf hook so far. I'm currently working on a chandelier.

Anyway, blacksmithing was incredibly unexpected and very scary when I first started. There's nothing quite like stepping into an area and being expected to work in close-contact with very hot metal. The teacher and I hadn't even been acquainted even! It's terrifying stuff, working with people you don't know and hot dangerous metal. It's really terrifying.

But, all in all, this class has taught me so much. The strength I've gained is incredible, and I feel that even though I'm a teenager, I've wandered into a fantastic land where I can make things myself and they can be functional, useful, and magnificent. I'd suggest anyone who can take a blacksmithing course--it's life changing!

I'll post pictures of my projects as soon as I'm allowed to take them home!(:

Cheers!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment