Friday, August 23, 2013

Teen Room Redo: Mi Ancla Canvas Art

Hi everyone!

Besides painting my walls, I made some of my old wall-art into new wall art, all themed around the sea/Percy Jackson/Annabeth Chase. Because that's what fangirls do! Anywhoo, I decided to take two of my older pieces of "art" to redo. I also used some of my yellow wall paint, and some Navy Blue Acrylic paint. I know this is pretty basic, but for my means this would work. My walls are going to be (when completely done): Yellow, light blue, and a deep, almost purple, blue. Before ya'll start freaking out, there are six walls in my room so it actually works out pretty well. Somewhat. (my side is yellow, my sister's is the purpleish wall)

Anyway, I wanted a simplistic design that also had all the colors in my room in it to tie everything together. Because we can't afford paint for all the walls (I used samples to paint my walls so far, so only three are done), I had to use my imagination to help picture all the colors together. My sister was going to work in a more colorful scheme, filled with a kindergarten-esque feel to it. No offense to her. But that's basically what it is.

So, I imagined these being simple, clean, and sea-filled. Well, maybe not filled, but still. YOU GET THE POINT I HOPE.

For my canvases, I wanted quotes. I had two paint-able canvases, so I thought through all of my favourite sea-feeling songs. I knew a few Irish ones, but I decided not to use those--they were all about sea-fairing men who lost their loved ones. So instead, I went with a Christian song--Mi Ancla, by Mindy Gledhill. There's an English version, but personally, I think the Spanish version is amazing. You can listen to it here.

I wanted to use my 9x12in canvas for the lyrics, so I painted it the same yellow that's on my wall.

See? This had been painted with crayon, then sharpie, then
acrylic. It was time for a redo, though, because
it no longer worked with my room. ): 

Ahh! Wall paint on canvas! :O

blahblahblah I got rid of those big globs, don't worry
All finished! (:

For the design, I looked up the lyrics and a few pictures of an anchor. (on Google Images, of course!) Then, I did a rough sketch in pencil. 


Then, I started painting with the blue acrylic paint. It took a few coats to really make it look awesome, but I think it came out awesome. (: 

My anchor you will be. <3
Vwa-la! She is finite!

I'm no art teacher, but I hope you're inspired. The lyrics mean "My anchor, you will be"--which I think is a cute, great reminder for a HEY LOOK WATER room. ;)

If you're not artistic, you can print out an image, cut it out, and trace it. For the lettering, you can use some cute stickers, place them on the canvas, paint over them, and pull the stickers off when the paint has dried. Spread the paint *just* around so the letters have an aura, and feel free to try and splatter around the letter's aura, just so it blends in. It'll look fantastic, whatever you do. It's not always about the art... but how it came about. :) Believe me, the way it had looked before hand wasn't a first-try... But then... I guess you could've known that. Hahaha.

Cheers!
Jenn

1 comment: