Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Art of Thinking

Life is confusing sometimes. And sometimes I forget why I dance. But then, I remember.

My head kind of moves too fast for me, ya know? Like, everything just keeps going and I have no idea what's going on. I'm kind of the spacey type of person that gets easily swept away in the moment. I guess that's why it's nearly one in the morning on a school night and I'm sitting up typing and not sleeping. My brain just won't stop.

I was once told that girls don't have the ability to never stop thinking. I don't really want to look it up--I like knowing that I'm "normal" when my mind won't stop. It's not really racing, but the rest of me just can't seem to keep up with it. *deep breath* Sometimes it feels like I'm suffocating, but this isn't one of those times. This time is just not knowing what I should be thinking about. What I should be doing with my life. What I should be doing right now.

I firmly believe in prayer. I believe in trusting in God. But I also believe that God has given me the ability to dance for a reason. It clears my head and makes me focus. Because no matter what you're doing in life, you can't think and dance at the same time. Dancing is active thinking.

Let me try to explain (please note: these are just terms I'm using to describe my brain. Scientifically, they're not these definitions. But the English language is one to be creative with, so bear with me).

As you go about your day, it may be the same day as every other one. Every day you live might be monotonous, it might have a set template. Go here. Go there. Pick up this. Pick up that. Shower. Eat. Bed. And as you do those activities, you can probably be thinking about other things too. Troubles. Worries. Fears.

But when you do something that you have to think about and give everything to--cake decorating, wood carving, drafting, sketching, chemistry, algebra, physics, dancing--you participate in active thinking.  You're constantly thinking about the next move, next idea, next step. You don't have time to give to another thought. Perfection is required, and you know it.

And that's why I love dancing. Even when I'm having a rough day, I can stop thinking through dancing. Even if it's not forever, it's enough.

Goodnight


No comments:

Post a Comment