Saturday, May 25, 2013

Headers

Hi everyone!

Currently working on some newish looks for the blog--because typical blogs are typical. A while ago, I posted on how to get your blog people-ready, but I never posted on how to actually write the interesting information that I suggested you write. I'm no expert on this--my content isn't so exciting, but it's basically about writing and getting emotion across, right? RIGHT? OH MY GOODNESS THE WORLD IS ENDING! (so that's not what we're going to talk about right now.) 

Anyway, like, I thought I would share some helpful knowledge to save the lot of you from heartache and trouble. Anyway, here's a brief tutorial using Pic Monkey to make a header.

Header 

First, you need to find a picture that might be appropriate for your header. You want a picture that would look good shrunken, enlarged, and would fit your theme. Remember, your theme is what you have to keep to (ah... don't look at my header for inspiration, please and thanks). I chose, for the meantime, this picture to fiddle around with: 


Then, you might want to change it up. I tinted it to match my background and added my blog's title to the picture. 

Because this part is super simple, I'll skip over what steps exactly I used in the photo editor. But, eventually I added a border. And loved it.(: 


Now, the thing is, if you notice, both the photos for the header are the same size. This is where you need to pay attention. Edit as much as you like, but before adding it to your blog, make the header 820x191. If you don't do that, your header will either look HUGE and add an extra three inches to your page, or it will be so tiny that you can't do anything with it. Save it in a file that you can easily find. 

Next, go to your Blogger home page. Click on the blog that has the header that you would like to change, and go down to the Layout tab. (I know there's a way to do this in code, but trust me, this is easier.) Next, click on the section with your blog's title on it. Then, you'll find the "Upload Image" bullet point, click on it, find your photo, click "Upload" and ta-da! You should be all good once you click save. 

The same process is fairly easy. You just have to have patience, and at the very least, be able to resize your picture. And if you're accessing my blog, you can probably access Pic Monkey. I have no idea about your internet restrictions, though, so... yeah...

Anyway, hope that helped some? Yes? No? 

Cheers peeps! 
Jenn

How to Get Your Blog People-Ready
Blogging a Blog pt. 1--Writing Daily 
Blogging a Blog pt. 2--Writing What?

10 comments:

  1. Definitely helped!! I think we may to try something like this! *pokes fellow Muses* ;)

    ~Calliope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad!!! If you have any questions, just email me! I will always toy around with stuff for others that need me to. (though, because your blog title isn't as "set" as mine is, remember to lengthen, not widen.) I'm sure ya'll will have a totally fantastic blog.(:

      Delete
  2. Do you have your blog configured for mobile use, Jenn? I've checked it on my phone, but it always seems to be just like the full site. I'm willing to be your test subject if you need to see how it looks on mobile, of course! :) Just shoot me a line! (Some people only like visiting mobile sites because full-loading sites drain their data usage like nobody's business. Thankfully, I really only use the internet at home, except if I'm checking things out on Google.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha--that's be sweet, thanks! I don't have a phone, so I don't even know how to try and configure it. (my OCD would kick in) I'll experiment a bit, feel free to let me know your thoughts on it (I'll email you after I've tried a bit?). Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Cow, just figured out that there's a preview button! >.< I didn't even think of checking out for mobile viewers... it should be better now (simpler, anyway).

      Delete
    3. Haha, no problem! :) Hm. You sure you set the mobile version? (My mobile version's very, very simple; I guess it may be the template difference? o.o I don't know.)

      Delete
    4. I think I did? Maybe? I don't have a phone, so, yeah, totally can't check it out. It should have the header and a white background, that was the simplest they had. I've not idea though.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Ah!! I know what's wrong XD I was using my FireFox app on my phone. (The "default" browser is too slow for me.) I checked it in the normal browser, and it's got the mobile theme and whatnot XD It looks quite nice! Sorry for the mini OCD-heart attack I probably gave you! It's just me being a nut :P I'm so used to clicking on FireFox now & using it as my mobile browser, that I don't even stop to remember that some websites don't yet recognize it as a true mobile browser! Heehee.

      Delete
    7. Made sure, it should be working? There could be some internet issues (there's a thunderstorm right now so the signal could be getting messy), but from *my* end, things are all systems go. Thanks again!(:

      Delete