Sunday, May 26, 2013

Let's Talk: Teen Validation

Hi everyone!

Let's talk about some things that are actually bothering me. I don't me somewhat bothering me, but actually getting under my skin. Like, instant gratification. It's a thing of our generation--and maybe we just need to accept it. But the thing is, it's not just us. Let me elaborate.

First off, I want us all to take a moment to acknowledge what is causing this instant gratification. That's right--Facebook (duh-nuh-nuh). Facebook has this power that lets you instantly share tons of stuff with people who will "like" and comment on it to their hearts content. To illustrate this, I have a story.

A while ago on Facebook, I was talking to a penpal about a haircut I had just got. I hacked off 9 inches of my hair (sadly, too sickly [thyroid issues] to donate) so I could start regrowing it to donate. She requested a picture, so I quickly snapped a shot and uploaded it. I tagged her, and said in the caption: "HA NEW FLUFFY HAIRCUT EAT THAT!!!:P" I wasn't exactly expecting anyone else to comment, like, or care because I didn't post it for them. I posted it for my penpal who can't see me everyday at school.

To this day that picture has the most likes and comments, and they're all from girls saying "Wow you're so pretty!"s (my face was bloated from my period) and "Oh my gosh, great hair!"s (it was a fluffy mess).  I'm not complaining that people complimented me. I mean, it was really nice. But I really wish they were a bit more honest--like, and acne-ridden period-bloatey face isn't worth complimenting. Especially when the next day at school everyone complained that I shouldn't have gotten it cut.

Now I'm especially careful. Because I don't like people dishonestly commenting on my pictures.

And yes, I do blame my generation for poorly trying to raise my self-esteem. (INTJ here, just chill your faces, I'm not being mean--chocolate could have had a better effect)

But while my generation does that, guess who else is doing the exact same thing? 

Adults. Adults that post pictures demeaning to other people (and for my news feed, especially teenagers), they post horrible statuses that I thought I would escape by defriending all of my teenage friends, they rant and have to comment on everything. I'm not trying to point out all of the flaws that adults have on social media sites, but they're the same as what teenagers have started throwing off. While teens as a majority are starting to move on, adults are stuck in the same passive-aggressive, post a billion selfies rut. And I know my word is hard to believe, so you can just check this out.

I don't believe that pointing fingers on who is the most passive-aggressive, selfie-addicted generation is a cure. I also don't think banning them would be fair. Because out of both generations, there is an amazing group of intellectuals that should be allowed to have their voice. And for right now, we need to quit calling my generation a generation of failures. Because we aren't. And the next time some adult tells me that, I'd love to enlighten them on how I can kick their butt in both blacksmithing and ballet, and a lot of my friends can do so much more than that.

And maybe this is a horrible rant, but I know this is not just me. I really hope that some people agree with me, and that my anger isn't over-done. (I'm not actually angry, just aggravated.)

Anyway, night, everyone.

Cheers!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment